Friday, June 15, 2012

REVIEW: The Vampire Fighters by Pete Johnson

Life has never been more complicated for thirteen-year-old Marcus. It's not easy trying to hide your secret identity as a half-vampire, avoid garlic at all costs, AND work up the courage to ask a girl out. Especially when that girl is vampire-crazy Tallulah.
Plus, Marcus's parents are still convinced his special power is going to arrive any day now. And they're trying not to show their disappointment every time another day passes and it doesn't appear - but Marcus is totally feeling the pressure.
As if that wasn't bad enough, a seriously creepy Winter Fair has arrived in town - and a number of terrifying attacks have started happening. Giles believes a super-evil sect of Deadly Vampires is behind them, and Marcus suspects an eerie ventriloquist at the Fair.
All Marcus wants is an easy life. But now it's up to him to save the day . . .


I love this series, and I think The Vampire Fighters was the best out of the three! It was a fantastic end to the trilogy. Of course, we were treated to more wit and hilarity as per usual, but The Vampire Fighters was slightly more serious than the other two books. Marcus acts on his romantic feelings, and the results didn't always go as planned...  I felt sorry for him  :(


I really didn't like Tallulah in this book! Marcus was nothing but nice to her, and she just threw it back in his face. She improved at the end though, and I can't help thinking that, although she is rude and obnoxious, her and Marcus go better together then he and Gracie. Don't get me wrong, I loved Gracie! I just think she wasn't as interesting a person as Tallulah. I was a bit disappointed by the ending...but not in the way you'd think from reading this paragraph! (this isn't a spoiler :) )


Pete's writing is addictive and easy to read as always. It didn't matter what was going on, whether Marcus was fighting a vampire or just walking down the street, it always kept me entertained! I read all three books in this series back to back in only a few of days. They are engrossing and absolutely unputdownable!


I am sort of undecided about the ending. It was quite cleverly done and was believable, but at the same time seemed a little too easy...and then the other part of the ending (if you've read the book you'll know what I mean) was frustrating, but brilliant! It left me thinking... . I wish there was another sequel, I will really miss this series! And I am dying to know what happens to the characters!


The Vampire Fighters is honestly a fantastic end to a wonderful trilogy! I'm so happy I gave these books a chance, they surprised me in a really good way! I will miss the characters, and the original storylines, the humour, and Marcus's trademark jokes :) If Pete's other books are anything as good as The Vampire Fighters (and I'm sure they will be), I know I'll love them! I can't recommend this series enough - if you haven't read them already, please do so soon - you won't regret it!


                                                       Rating: 5/5

Source: For Review - a massive thanks to the publisher for sending me this in exchange for an honest review.
Format: Manuscript
Pages: 272
Age group: 9+
Official Publication Date: 5th June 2012
Publisher: Corgi Yearling, an imprint of Random House
Challenges:  British Books Challenge 

5 comments:

  1. While I'm a little over the target group for this, I think it sounds like such a good read!

    It's a shame Tallulah was rude, but I really like her name. :P

    The ending... You never know, there could be another book! Malory Blackman's trilogy turned into 4 books, so fingers crossed for you.(:

    Brilliant review, Cliona!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you've enjoyed this series - it looks really unusual and fun! And I hate it too when characters are mean! o_O

    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review!! :) This series of books look amazing! :) I know what you mean - I hate it when characters are like that! :(
    Thank you so much for the brilliant review, this book looks fantastic! :)

    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, the more I read about these, the more Im excited for them. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I really like your blogs and I have just started the 2012 reading challenge but I'm not sure how to get the gadget for it and I was wondering how you did it :) thanks and if you want to check out my blog its www.howilikemypancakes.blogspot.com thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)

This is an award-free zone, sorry but I just don't have the time to pass them on! Thanks for thinking of me anyway :)